Village Croydon

Opened: 1954
Location: Whitehorse Road Croydon
Capacity: 800 Cars
Screens: One, later two
Operator: Village drive-in Croydon Pty Ltd
Closed: 1990

Brief history:
The first theatre in the Village circuit to be named Village (the indoor houses owned by the company at that time were called Kirby Theatres). Today Village run 1,500 screens in 20 countries all over the world and it all started with this outer suburban Melbourne drive-in. Croydon was just beaten to the punch in being Australias first drive-in, but the circuit grew quickly and soon outnumbered its major competitor (Hoyts Skyline) in Victoria.

Croydon was built from a design by Cowper Murphy and Associates, well known cinema architects of the day. Original capacity was 454 cars with a holding paddock for second session patrons - drive-ins in the fifties often ran two sessions per night which included a feature, newsreel, cartoon and trailers. Croydon was one of the few drive-ins in Australia to have a swimming pool. By the early 1960's capacity was up to 741 cars and a bituman go-kart track had been added under the screen. Complaints were received from surrounding residents about the noise and these led to an inspection of the track, which was unfenced and it was deemed unsafe. A walk-in was added in 1956 to cater for locals without cars, these were common up until the 1960's. Croydon was equipped with Brady drive-in speakers, Village Theatre supplies were sole agents for this Australian brand.

Village moved to twin drive-ins before other circuits in Australia to add film product choice and flexibility. Croydon was twinned in 1982 with the extra screen coming from the recently closed Moorabbin drive-in, it was reclad and reinforced after installation. Field capacities at this time were 314 cars and 435 cars. Croydon withstood the darkest days of the mid 1980's when the closest competitor, Hoyts Wantirna, was closed. Trading was steady until 1990 when Village announced Croydon was to close. Within 24 hours the screens had been cut down - gas-axed at the supports and fell like a book onto a table - items were auctioned shortly after and the site became home to Pizza Hut and Sizzler. It is worth noting that Village also owned the motel that was situated at the front of the drive-in. A McDonalds restaurant was located on the east side of the entrance driveway, every evening scores of cars did a loop the loop as they went through the drive-thru and then into the drive-in.


Not much left of the ticket box or anything else for that matter.

Wanted dead or alive, photos of Croydon.

 

Email me 
© Drive-ins Downunder 1999.
Website by Catapult Design House